Year after year, study after study, good market, down market the story is always the same…owning a home is a good investment. Not only does it build wealth but it also provides many psychological benefits too.
A survey released earlier this year by the magazine Better Homes and Gardens found that eight in 10 respondents said homeownership is still a good investment and believe owning a home is a smart financial move and a source of pride.
Here are some results of the 2,500 people surveyed online:
- 86% of home owners still feel owning a home is a good investment.
- 85% feel “owning a home is one of their proudest accomplishments.”
- 69% of Americans who don’t currently own a home agree with the statement, “No matter what happens in the U.S. housing market, owning a home is still an important goal in my life.”
- 68% of Americans plan to spend money on their homes in the next six months, with roughly half (49%) expecting to pay up to $1,000.
Here are some ways to start planning for your family’s financial future:
Start a college fund: College may seem far away but it is a huge expense that can creep up on you. Start saving now, the sooner the better. Even as little as $100 a month will add up. Open a 529 college savings plan to use specifically for college expenses.
Buy life insurance: Life insurance gives your family a peace of mind. and the ability to afford the expense of final care and burial. The death benefit will provide financial security for those family members who are left behind.
Have a will: When a person dies without a will, the state decides who gets what, without regard to the deceased wishes or their heirs’ needs. Creating a will that spells out one’s wishes protects their family’s financial future.
Wellesley MA Real EstateWellesley, MA - $1,250,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:33 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,795,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:4/15 hours agoWellesley, MA - $975,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/15 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,675,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/116 hours agoWellesley, MA - $2,175,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/1
Needham MA Real EstateNeedham, MA - $858,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Multi-Level - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:3/11 hour agoNeedham, MA - $234,000 - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:12 hours agoNeedham, MA - $1,995,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:4 - Baths:4/22 hours agoNeedham, MA - $1,149,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:13 - Beds:5 - Baths:5/15 hours agoNeedham, MA - $747,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/17 hours ago
Weston MA Real EstateWeston, MA - $2,750,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/124 minutes agoWeston, MA - $2,396,000 - Land - Acres:6.112 hours agoWeston, MA - $850,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:25 hours agoWeston, MA - $3,495,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:4/16 hours agoWeston, MA - $1,839,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Multi-Level - Rooms:13 - Beds:6 - Baths:4/17 hours ago
- Questions about Wellesley override, senior center land purchase on May 20 ballot April 16, 2014Shall the town vote to approve the action of the representative town meeting whereby it was voted to acquire the property at 494 Washington Street? Yes Question 2 - Shall the Town of Wellesley be allowed to assess an additional $3,345,000 in real estate and personal property taxes for the purpose of funding public education and general government, ... (more) […]
- Parakeet found, Chihuahua mix lost in Wellesley April 15, 2014Wellesley animal control officer Sue Webb has put out the word that a young parakeet has been found in the Bates Elementary School area , while a Chihuahua mix that recently moved here from Tennessee has gone missing . […]
- Keys gets Noble High School Principal's Award April 15, 2014Noble High School Principal Joseph Findlay has announced that Elijah Keys, son of Robert and Sandi Keys of Berwick, has been selected to receive the 2014 Principal's Award. […]
- Questions about Wellesley override, senior center land purchase on May 20 ballot April 16, 2014
- Jack McGeorge stepping down as Needham Bank CEO, Whalen to take the reins in 2015 April 15, 2014Jack McGeorge will step down as CEO of Needham Bank next year and hand over the position to Mark Whalen , the bank's current president and chief operating officer. […]
- Westford board votes to ban cigarette sales to those younger than 21 April 15, 2014Starting June 1, only those 21 and older will be able to purchase a cigarette or electronic cigarette in town. […]
- From pita chips to upscale juice, Stacy Madison keeps starting up April 14, 2014The UpTake: Stacy Madison made it big when she sold Stacy's Pita Chips to Pepsico's Frito-Lays division. […]
- Jack McGeorge stepping down as Needham Bank CEO, Whalen to take the reins in 2015 April 15, 2014
- Weston Will Get Help Fixing Potholes April 14, 2014Weston is getting $71,000 from the state to help pay for repairing potholes. Winter is gone, but her fury is still evident on roads across Massachusetts. […]
- 3 Colleges That Have Super-High Job Placement Rates April 12, 2014There are several factors that influence how quickly you will procure a job in your chosen field after you graduate from college, not the least of which is the course of study you choose, and how well you apply yourself during your college career. […]
- Peterborough names new fire chief April 10, 2014PETERBOROUGH The town has found its new fire chief. Former Weston, Mass., Fire Chief Edmund "Ed" Walker was named the new chief of Peterborough Fire and Rescue by town officials this week. […]
- Weston Will Get Help Fixing Potholes April 14, 2014