In order for your home to maintain value and to continually look in good condition, it is important that you maintain it on a regular basis. However, to ensure that you get the best quality maintenance, it is important that you find the right type of service to fix up homes. There is the choice of doing it yourself, but remember that while small jobs can be easy, when it comes to more complex maintenance work, you are better off using a professional service, because this in turn will ensure that you do get the right results once your home has been maintained. Maintaining a home can range from keeping the roof in good condition so that it does not leak during those rainy seasons, to replacing your windows so that you keep your home insulated from the heat and cold, which in turn can save you a lot of money on energy bills.
Of course, there are also those intricate jobs such as plumbing, replacing the floor, and unblocking the drain. By finding a reputable service that can fix up homes, you can feel comfortable knowing that you can use them over the years, because as they begin to maintain one area of your home, there will always be something else that will pop up later down the road. Therefore, take your time to do a good amount of research on one of these services, which can easily be done by going on the Internet. The reason for this is because many of these maintenance services now have an online presence, so you will be able to get a good idea of exactly what they offer and get an idea of what they are charging for that service.
Are you are looking to bring new life to old furniture or complete a do-it-yourself project? If so, you are probably thinking of heading to the big box store for some commercial stain. Many of these products are expensive and contain synthetic chemicals and pesticides. Their smell and toxic fumes may also deter you.
Did you know staining wood has been a practice for thousands of years? Long ago, they didn’t have hardware stores with cans of synthetic stains. People relied on things around their home and garden such as fruit, vegetables and plants to color their wood and furniture. Best of all these all natural items did not contain chemicals and unsafe fumes.
Here are a few hints when using all natural stains:
Always test the stain first on a scrap piece of wood.
Wait several days before applying a sealant over the stain.
Here are a few things you can use to stain wood:
Plants-The juice of fruits, vegetables or plants, give off great color. Try things like beets, blueberries, carrots and turnip greens. You may want to add some alum (potassium aluminum sulfate) to your stain to help the colors hold. Alum is used in pickling and can be found in the spice section of your local supermarket. Try 1 teaspoon of alum per gallon of juice.
Metal-Take those old rusty nails, a jar of pennies or even steel wool and soak them in white vinegar. Let them sit for four days in the brine and you will have an extremely effective stain. You may want to let the pennies sit for longer (even a few weeks) to achieve your desired color.
Beverages-This is quite popular for fabric but can be used on wood too. Coffee and tea will give you a nice tone that will deepen with multiple coats.
Nuts and Spices-There is a reason so many of the commercial stain has names like walnut and turmeric. Soak walnut hulls in water for a week to yield a rich, dark stain. Just a tablespoon of turmeric added to 2 cups of water produces a yellowish stain.
Have you tried any natural stains? What is your favorite?
Wellesley MA Real EstateWellesley, MA - $4,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/16 hours agoWellesley, MA - $4,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:27 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,349,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Garrison - Rooms:9 - Beds:5 - Baths:2/17 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,690,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:5 - Baths:57 hours agoWellesley, MA - $20 - Commercial - Year Built:0 - Acres:07 hours ago
Needham MA Real EstateNeedham, MA - $2,750 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/14 hours agoNeedham, MA - $519,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/15 hours agoNeedham, MA - $599,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Garrison - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/16 hours agoNeedham, MA - $839,000 - Single-Family - Other - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/17 hours agoNeedham, MA - $639,000 - Land - Acres:0.437 hours ago
Weston MA Real EstateWeston, MA - $2,195,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/16 hours agoWeston, MA - $5,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:10 - Beds:5 - Baths:3/17 hours agoWeston, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:29 hours agoWeston, MA - $1,495,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:4/112 hours agoWeston, MA - $1,795,000 - Land - Acres:1.43
- No Cheers, only Jeers July 25, 2014The Bourne Board of Selectmen could have shown real courage and leadership Tuesday night by allowing unaccompanied immigrant children to live temporarily at the Upper Cape base, but they succumbed to fear and scare tactics from an ignorant vocal minority. […]
- Jessica Goepfert photo July 25, 2014Jessica Goepfert is the director of consulting and custom research for the IDC Insights business units covering Energy, Financial, and Government. […]
- Crosswalk Renovations Coming to Wellesley Hills July 25, 2014Pedestrian crosswalks in Wellesley Hills along Washington Street will begin to be replaced and renovated starting July 28, reported Wellesley police on their website. […]
- No Cheers, only Jeers July 25, 2014
- WashU student charged with DWI, hit-and-run July 25, 2014A 22-year-old student at Washington University in St. Louis has been charged with assault and drunken driving in a hit-and-run that injured two classmates. […]
- Needham Library is 'Off the Shelf' July 24, 2014Did you know that, in addition to the online databases available through the State of Massachusetts and the Minuteman Library Network, the Needham Free Public Library provides Needham residents free home access to several other online databases? Consumer Reports is the most popular database that is used by Needham residents. […]
- EH&E and Brigham and Women's Hospital win IFMA Excellence Award for advancing fire, life safety in construction practices July 23, 2014NEEDHAM, Mass. EH&E, a provider of environmental and engineering consulting services, has won the 2014 IFMA Boston Excellence Award for Best Practices in Sustainability for a joint project conducted with Brigham and Women's Hospital . […]
- WashU student charged with DWI, hit-and-run July 25, 2014
- Booze-on-Demand Service Drizly Expands to Wayland July 11, 2014Drizly , an alcohol-on-demand service that bills itself as the " Amazon for alcohol," is now available in Wellesley. […]
- Pouring it on: Drizly to bring booze to Wellesley doorsteps July 10, 2014Not only are retailers like Fells Market and Roche Bros., gaining permission to sell beer and wine, and new restaurants like Juniper opening with bars , but now mobile app maker Drizly has begun making available the delivery of beer, wine and liquor to people in Wellesley . […]
- Framingham Not Ranked One of Commonwealth's Safest Communities July 8, 2014Framingham did not make the cut on a recent list of the 50 safest communities in Massachusetts. […]
- Booze-on-Demand Service Drizly Expands to Wayland July 11, 2014